Cinco de Mayo is coming and I’m totally making this delicious Mexican Street Corn Salad! It’s so refreshing, creamy, flavorful and super easy to make. I love how it pairs well with almost anything. It’s the ultimate Mexican party food!
I love quick and easy salads, especially when I am hosting guests. Anything that can be made in 15 minutes or less is a win-win for me. Cinco de Mayo is right around the corner, and this ultra delicious Mexican Street Corn Salad will definitely be on the menu. It’s so refreshing and pretty!
Mexican street corn salad, also known as “esquites,” is corn served in little cups with some lime juice, mayo, and chili powder. It’s a very popular snack sold in the streets of Mexico. My version of Mexican street corn salad is made with the addition of tomatoes and avocado, which really adds color and freshness. It’s really really good!
Mexican Street Corn Salad Ingredients
To give you an idea of what goes into my favorite Mexican street corn salad:
- fresh corn kernels (you can use frozen corn when not in season)
- lime juice
- chili powder, paprika, garlic powder
- red onions
- cherry tomatoes
- cotija cheese
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
Just imagine all these ingredients in every bite. So good, right? Now, let’s go over how to make it!
How to Make Mexican Street Corn Salad
- In a large pan on high heat, arrange corn in one layer and cook corn with some olive oil without stirring, until charred. Once charred, stir to get the other side slightly charred too. If they are not arranged in one layer, they will steam instead, so do it in batches if needed. Tip: Use a cast iron skillet if possible, as they tend to get really hot.
- Let the corn cool. Tip: arrange cooked corn on a sheet pan to expedite the cooling process.
- In a large bowl, mix mayonnaise, lime juice, paprika, chili powder, garlic powder. Add the corn, onions, and tomatoes. Stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Then add the avocado and cotija cheese and combine carefully so the avocado doesn’t break.
- Garnish with more cotija, cilantro, and serve with lime wedges.
What to It Serve with
This salad pairs well with anything, and you can even eat it with tortillas chips. Here are some ideas:
- Tacos tacos tacos! Try my Crispy Baja Fish Tacos
- Chicken quesadillas
- Mexican Chicken and Rice
- Beef Taco Salad
I hope you like this corn salad as much as I do! It’s truly refreshing and great for sharing. This recipe can be easily multiplied.
Thank you for stopping by, and please don’t forget to pin this recipe:
Mexican Street Corn Salad
- 4 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels
- Olive oil for pan
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/8 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 1/4 cup diced red onions
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 large avocado, small diced
- 1/2 cup crumbled cotija cheese or queso fresco
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, heat some olive oil on high heat and cook corn undisturbed until slightly charred, about 3-5 minutes. Make sure to arrange in one layer, and do it in batches if needed. After the bottom of the corn has charred a bit, stir to get the other side slightly charred as well.
- Set aside and let it cool. Tip: arrange in a sheet pan to allow it to cool faster.
- In a large bowl, mix mayonnaise, lime juice, paprika, chili powder, garlic powder. Add corn, onions, and tomatoes. Stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- The add avocado and cotija cheese and stir slightly and carefully so the avocado doesn’t get mushy.
- Top with more cotija cheese crumbles and more cilantro for garnish. Enjoy!