Cranberry Crumb Bars
These easy Cranberry Crumb Bars are perfect for the holidays! They are tender, crumbly, perfectly sweet and tart. Makes about 15 squares.
Servings: 15 medium squares
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup VERY cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes (2 sticks butter, see note below)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 4 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- Zest of 1 orange
- Juice of 1/2 an orange
- 3/4 cups granulated sugar, plus more if desired
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a 9x13 inch baking pan with parchment paper, leaving some overhang on the sides in order to make it easier to lift the cranberry bars.
In a saucepan, add the cranberry filling ingredients and bring to a simmer. Simmer for about 3-5 minutes or until the cranberries start breaking down. Remove from heat and transfer to a shallow bowl. Let it cool while you make the dough.
Meanwhile, in another large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Cut in the butter into the dry ingredients using a pastry blender until you get pea-sized crumbles. You can also rub in the flour and butter with your fingers, but do it quickly so that the butter doesn’t soften too much. Add the egg and mix until a very crumbly dough forms. It will seem dry. Note: you can also use your food processor for this step - simply pulse all the dough ingredients until you get pea-sized crumbles and incorporated.
Place half of the dough on the prepared 9x13 inch pan. Press down to form a firm and even layer. Spread the cranberry filling evenly over the dough. Top with the remaining crumbly dough.
Bake for 45-50 minutes until golden brown. Let cool and cut into squares. Enjoy!
- Special Equipment: Pastry blender, parchment paper, 9x13 baking pan. Optional: food processor.
- Cold butter: Freeze the butter for at least 30 minutes to ensure it is very cold.
- Make ahead: You can make the cranberry filling the day before. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Storing: These will store well in an airtight container at room temperature for about 3 days.