Turkey Orzo Soup
This one pot turkey orzo soup is a great idea for using all that leftover Thanksgiving turkey. It is easy, delicious, and comforting.
Servings: 6 people
- Olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 3 medium carrots, diced
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves (or 1 teaspoon or less dried thyme)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano (or Italian seasoning)
- 6 to 7 cups chicken broth, plus more as needed
- 1 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 3 cups cooked leftover turkey breast, cubed or shredded (not deli turkey)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- A handful of Italian parsley
- 1 lemon (optional)
Heat about 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large Dutch oven or pot over medium heat. Sauté garlic, onion, carrots and celery until softened, about 6-8 minutes. Add thyme and dried oregano. Cook for another minute until fragrant, stirring.
Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Then, add shredded turkey and the uncooked orzo. Season with salt and pepper to taste if needed. Bring to a boil and lower heat to simmer for about 15 minutes, half-covered or uncovered, until orzo is tender or cooked to taste. Optional: add some water and simmer if you think the broth is too strong (it depends on which brand of broth you use).
Remove from heat. Add freshly chopped Italian parsley. If desired, serve with a lemon wedge on the side, it adds brightness to the soup. Enjoy!
- Special equipment: a large pot or Dutch oven.
- Make ahead: You can dice the vegetables the day before and store in the fridge in an airtight container. The turkey can also be shredded ahead of time.
- Storing: Once the soup has cooled down, transfer to an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 3 days. If freezing: let the soup cool down before storing in the freezer. Freeze up to 1 month in a freezer-friendly container. To reheat, thaw in the refrigerator.
- Note on reheating: If you're storing leftovers, the orzo may have absorbed the liquid. When reheating, add some chicken broth and warm it up in a small pot or in the microwave oven.