Skillet Chicken Margherita
This quick and easy skillet chicken margherita is the perfect weeknight dinner! Made with juicy pan-seared chicken breasts, pesto, mozzarella cheese, tomatoes, and basil. It comes together in 30 minutes and it's so delicious!
Servings: 4 people
Large oven-proof skillet
- 4 small or medium chicken breasts
- Olive oil for pan
- Salt and pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 4 slices deli mozzarella cheese
- 4 thin slices tomatoes (I use large tomatoes)
- ½ cup basil pesto (plus more to taste)
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves, sliced
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Pat dry the chicken breasts. Cover with plastic wrap, and using a meat mallet or meat tenderizer tool, pound to even thickness to about ½ inch thick. Season the chicken on both sides with the garlic powder, the Italian seasoning, and salt and pepper (about ⅓ teaspoon of salt and a few grinds of pepper for each breast). Optional: let the seasoned chicken sit for 10 minutes to allow the seasonings to penetrate.
Heat about 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil on a large oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat. Once the pan is hot, add the chicken breasts. Cook on each side for about 6-8 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked through. Internal temperature should reach 165 degrees F. Turn off the heat.
Spread some pesto over each chicken breast, about 2 tablespoons per breast. Top each chicken breast with a slice of mozzarella cheese and a slice of tomato.
Transfer to the preheated oven and bake for about 5 minutes, or until the cheese is nicely melted.
Serve with fresh basil on top. Enjoy!
- The key to not overcooking the chicken is to pound it to about half inch thick evenly. This will ensure the chicken cooks thoroughly and evenly, about 6-8 minutes per side. Check out my perfect pan-seared chicken recipe tips and tricks.
- Pesto: It's easiest to use your favorite store-bought basil pesto, but feel free to use homemade pesto. Or switch it up by using my sun-dried tomato pesto recipe instead!