A good side salad is a must. This Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad tastes super fresh and is packed with healthy ingredients. Toss it with a homemade lemon honey dressing for some tanginess!
I always make sure to serve dinner with a healthy and fresh side salad, and lately everyone’s been crazy about this shaved brussels sprouts salad. It’s fresh, crunchy, and ultra healthy!
The homemade lemon honey dressing adds the perfect tangy flavors that brings the salad together. I also love the addition of kale. Brussels sprouts and kale can be a bit tough when served raw, but the acidity of the lemon dressing softens it slightly for the perfect texture. It’s so good!
So, let’s get started and make this shaved brussels sprouts salad!
The ingredients in this brussels sprouts salad are very simple. You only need 4 ingredients for the salad. And for the homemade lemon honey dressing, you may already have all the ingredients in your fridge and pantry!
- Fresh Brussels sprouts: Ends trimmed.
- Kale: Use Tuscan or lacinato kale rather than the tougher kind.
- Scallions: Thinly sliced.
- Walnuts or pecans: For extra crunch.
- For the homemade dressing: fresh lemon juice, olive oil, dijon mustard, honey, garlic, salt, and pepper.
Methods for Shaving Brussels Sprouts
I usually just use a sharp knife and thinly slice each one. It takes some patience, I’d say!
Here are some ways to shave or thinly slice Brussels sprouts:
- Thinly slice with a sharp knife
- Use a mandoline (be careful with your fingers though!)
- Use a food processor
Let’s Make It!
Once you’ve got all the ingredients prepped and ready to go, all that’s left to do is tossing everything together!
Per usual, you can find the ingredient quantities and instructions in the recipe card below, but to give you an idea of how it’s made:
- Shave or thinly slice the Brussels sprouts.
- Slice the kale and scallions: for the kale, remember to remove the ribs or stems, you want only the leaves.
- Prepare the dressing: simply combine all the dressing ingredients and shake to combine.
- Toss everything together!
It’s so easy! The key here is to use all fresh ingredients. Frozen or canned won’t do!
Make Ahead Instructions
The great thing about this shaved brussels sprouts salad is that it’s a great make-ahead recipe. I usually make this salad for potlucks, and it’s easy peasy!
Here are some general guidelines:
- Thinly slice or shave the brussels sprouts, kale, and scallions up to 2 days in advance, and refrigerate. Make sure the Brussels sprouts and kale are patted dry. Store in a tightly sealed container or in a Ziploc bag.
- Make the dressing up to 2 days in advance, and store in an airtight container in the fridge.
- When ready to serve, toss everything together, including the walnuts.
Another great thing about this salad is that you can customize it however you want! Here are some of my favorite add-ins:
- Freshly slices or diced apples
- Other nuts: almonds, pecans, or pine nuts!
- Parmesan cheese
- Dried cranberries or raisins
I absolutely love this brussels sprouts salad! It’s fresh, crunchy, and tangy…all in one. If you want to make it a full dinner salad, feel free to add some protein. My favorite is a simple grilled chicken or bacon.
If you’re looking for more refreshing side salads, be sure to check these out!
- Kale and Apple Salad
- Roasted Cauliflower Salad
- Watermelon Feta Salad
- Fruit Salad with Orange Poppy Seed Dressing
Thank you so much for reading. I hope you like this salad as much as I do!
Tips for Success
- Use a sharp knife to slice the brussels sprouts. You can also use a mandoline (be careful with your fingers though!) or a food processor.
- If preparing the brussels sprouts and kale ahead, be sure to thoroughly pat them dry before storing to prevent moisture from spoiling it.
Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, ends trimmed
- 2 to 3 cups sliced Lacinato or Tuscan kale (ribs and stems removed)
- 3 scallions, top trimmed and diagonally sliced
- Chopped pecans for topping
Lemon Honey Dressing:
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (from about 2 lemons)
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Make the lemon honey dressing: in a mason jar, combine all the dressing ingredients and shake until fully incorporated. Adjust to taste with more salt and pepper if needed. Set aside.
- Thinly slice the brussels sprouts with a sharp knife. You can also use a food processor or mandoline (be careful with yout fingers though!). Transfer to a large bowl.
- To the same bowl, add the sliced kale and scallions.
- Toss brussels sprouts, kale, and scallions with the lemon honey dressing. Let it sit for 10 minutes to allow the kale to soften, and toss again. Top with the pecans. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
- Special equipment: sharp knife or mandoline or food processor.
- To thinly slice the brussels sprouts, use a sharp knife. You can also use a mandoline or a food processor to make it faster.
- Make ahead: slice the brussels sprouts, kale, and scallions (remember to thorouhly pat them dry first) and store in tightly sealed containers or bags for up to 2 days. The dressing can be made up to 2 days ahead and stored in an airtight container or mason jar. When ready to eat, toss the sliced vegetables with the dressing and top with pecans.
- Storing: store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days.