Making classic vanilla milkshakes at home is really easy! Only three ingredients: vanilla ice cream, milk, and vanilla extract. I’ll share a few tips to make the perfect milkshakes at home.
The great thing about making milkshakes at home is that you have full control of the type and quality of ice cream you use. Sounds silly, but the star ingredient in milkshakes is ice cream, and your choice of ice cream makes a huge difference. And by “choice,” I mean your favorite ice cream brand…unless you’re using homemade vanilla ice cream, of course.
This easy vanilla milkshake requires only 3 ingredients: vanilla ice cream, milk, and vanilla extract. And one simple step: blend everything!
Ingredients in a Vanilla Milkshake
- Vanilla ice cream: Choose your favorite brand and type! I like Breyer’s vanilla bean ice cream. Make sure the ice cream is not rock hard, but not like melted either. The best consistency is kind of soft and creamy.
- Milk: to loosen up the ice cream.
- Vanilla extract: to intensify the vanilla flavor.
How to Make Vanilla Milkshakes
You’ll need a blender to make this.
- Add the ingredients into the blender: ice cream, milk, vanilla extract. For 2 servings, this recipe calls for 4 cups of ice cream and 1 cup milk, along with 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- Blend everything: the consistency should be smooth and should look a bit frothy at the top. If you want a creamier and richer shake, add more ice cream and blend until desired consistency.
That’s all! So easy to make. Creamy, rich, and delicious.
I hope you enjoy these milkshakes as much as I do. If you have any questions, feel free to comment in the section below. I’d love to hear from you!
Also, be sure to check out these recipes:
Thank you for reading, and please don’t forget to pin this recipe! Much appreciated 🙂
Tips for Making Amazing Milkshakes
- Use good quality ice cream.
- Freeze the glasses beforehand.
- If your blender is small, do it in parts.
- Blend on low speed to maintain some of the thick ice cream consistency.
- Don’t add ice. It will water down the milkshake.
Easy Vanilla Milkshakes
- 4 cups vanilla ice cream, plus more as needed
- 1 cup milk (approximately)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a blender, combine ice cream, milk, and vanilla extract. Note: If your blender is too small, do it in parts; you want the mixture to blend freely.
- Blend everything on low speed. If you want your milkshake to be thicker, add more ice cream. Likewise, if too thick, add more milk. Serve immediately and enjoy!
- Equipment: Blender.
- Prep ahead (optional): Freeze the glasses a few hour ahead of time so you get extra cold milkshakes.
- Ice cream: Prior to blending, make sure the ice cream is not rock hard but not too soft/melted either. If the ice cream is too hard to scoop easily, let it sit on the counter for a few minutes.
- Vanilla beans: If you want to, scrape the seeds from a vanilla bean and add it to the blender for extra vanilla-y-ness (yes, I made that word up).
- Blending: If your blender is too small, do it in parts. Blend on low speed in order to keep some of the thick ice cream consistency.