Easy and refreshing Watermelon Slushies! You only need 3 ingredients to make this summer-inspired beverage. So good!
I think I’ve mentioned previously that watermelon is my absolute favorite fruit on earth. Every summer, I really look forward to all things watermelon!
Because of the recent high summer temperatures, I decided to make this refreshing watermelon slush, and it was one of the best things ever!
To make these watermelon slushies, I freeze cubed watermelon in a resealable bag, and use those as “ice cubes.” So there’s no need to add any ice! For more refreshing flavors, I add a little bit of fresh lime juice. It’s SO SO good!
Only Three Ingredients
You only need three ingredients to make watermelon slushies:
- Frozen cubed watermelon: Simply, cube some watermelon and freeze it overnight or at least 4 hours (use a freezer-friendly bag).
- Fresh lime juice: Yes, more refreshing and bright flavors please!
- Cold water: To thin it out a bit, otherwise it will be like shaved ice. I just eyeball it as it blends.
These ingredients are 100% natural! Nothing pre-packaged or anything like that. You can be sure that these watermelon slushies are healthy, so have all you want!
So Easy to Make!
First things first: cube some watermelon and freeze it overnight, or for at least 4 hours. You will need about 3 cups of cubed watermelon per glass (16 oz). Freeze the watermelon in freezer-friendly bags, laying them in a single layer.
Basically, here’s how to make watermelon slushies:
- Freeze the cubed watermelon overnight or for at least 4 hours. Tip: lay them flat in a single layer.
- When ready to make the slushies, let the watermelon sit for a few minutes on the counter so that it’s not so frozen. If needed, hit it with a rolling pin a few times to loosen it up.
- Blend! For a 16 oz glass, you’ll need about 2 cups of frozen watermelon, 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice (or to taste), and cold water as needed to thin it out.
Garnish with mint leaves and lime. I love the bright red and lively green colors. So beautiful!
Variations and Add-ins
Mix it up! Here are some ideas to customize your watermelon slushie:
- Add more fruits! Frozen strawberries or raspberries work great. Just be sure to put less watermelon in the blender.
- Instead of cold water, try coconut water or even rosé wine!
- You can use lemon juice rather than lime.
- Watermelon is naturally sweet, but if needed, add maple syrup or a simple sugar syrup (to taste).
That’s it! So easy, refreshing, and healthy.
I love trying out new recipes using watermelon, and these watermelon slushies are absolutely amazing. I crave it all the time during hot summer days.
More watermelon recipes:
Thank you for reading, and I hope you enjoy this recipe!
Tips for Success
- Freezing the watermelon: Lay the cubed watermelon flat on a single layer (in the resealable bag). This way, you won’t have a big chunk of frozen watermelon.
- When ready to make, let the watermelon sit on the counter for a few minutes, so it’s not so frozen. If needed, hit it with a rolling pin to break them apart.
- 6 cups frozen cubed watermelon (see note below)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Water as needed (to thin it out)
- Remove the watermelon from the freezer, and let it sit on the counter for a few minutes so it's not so frozen. If the watermelon is too clumped together, hit it a few times with a rolling pin to break them apart.
- In a blender, blend the frozen watermelon cubes with lime juice (to taste). As it blends, add cold water as needed to thin it out, otherwise it will be like shaved ice. Note: If your blender is too small, you can do it in parts. Also, if needed, loosen it up with a spoon, as sometimes it can get stuck in the bottom of the blender.
- To serve, pour in a glass and garnish with mint leaves and lime slices, if desired. Serve immediately.
- Special equipment: Blender.
- Freezing watermelon: Cut some watermelon into cubes, and store in a freezer-friendly bag, laying them in a flat single layer. Freeze for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Need to make it sweeter? Watermelon is sweet naturally, but if you want it sweeter simply add some maple syrup or a simple sugar syrup to taste.
- Instead of plain water, you can use coconut water.