Make these grilled vegetable sandwiches with herbed goat cheese for your next cookout! Grilled red bell peppers, zucchini, and juicy portobello mushrooms on ciabatta and goat cheese. Yummy!
I have an obsession with grilled vegetables and goat cheese together. They were made for each other. To satisfy my cravings, I made this super delicious grilled vegetable sandwich with herbed goat cheese on toasted ciabatta. And, I am obsessed!! If it’s possible to fall in love with a sandwich, I think it happened when I took a bite of it. So good!
This grilled vegetable sandwich is made with grilled red bell peppers, grilled zucchini, grilled portobello mushrooms (my absolute fave), arugula or mixed greens, herbed goat cheese, and toasted ciabatta. If you’re thinking about firing up the grill this weekend, then this sandwich should be on your menu! The great thing about making a grilled vegetable sandwich is that you can use any veggies you like. I’ll share ideas for substitutions and additions so you can customize this veggie sandwich to your liking.
What’s in this Grilled Vegetable Sandwich?
From all the veggies available, I chose to grill 3:
- red bell peppers
- portobello mushrooms
The choice of portobello mushrooms was a no-brainer. I mean…it’s honestly the best veggie out there, in my opinion. The red bell peppers and the green zucchini are ultra delicious and the vibrant colors make it look so beautiful.
Then you got a few more ingredients: herbed goat cheese, greens or arugula, and ciabatta. All of that, together in one bite, sounds and is absolutely delicious. I could eat this every day, guys!
And like mentioned above, you can add or use your favorite veggies instead. Here are my favorites to grill:
- yellow squash
- artichoke hearts
Cheese substitutions: fresh mozzarella, whipped feta, ricotta…or you can use hummus!
Additional topping ideas: alfalfa sprouts, pesto, sundried tomato pesto
How to Make a Grilled Vegetable Sandwich
- Toss prepared vegetables with extra virgin olive oil, dried oregano, Kosher salt, and freshly ground black pepper.
- Heat a grill to medium-high. Grill, for about 10-12 minutes, or until charred and tender on both sides. Transfer to a plate and set aside. Optional: brush veggies with pesto as they grill to additional flavor.
- To assemble the sandwiches: spread some herbed goat cheese on the cut sides of the bread. On the bottom slice of bread, add some arugula or mixed greens, followed by grilled bell pepper slices, grilled zucchini, and grilled portobello mushroom a slice, and the top slice of the bread. Tip: you can toast the bread beforehand if you want.
As usual, you can find specific ingredients quantities in the recipe card below.
Tips for Building a Great Sandwich
The most important thing about building a great sandwich: proportions!
I may sound silly, but a sandwich needs to be well-balanced in terms of the quantity and proportions of each ingredient. A disproportionate sandwich, even if it has the most delicious ingredients ever, falls short. That’s because it’s all about the marriage of all the ingredients in ONE bite.
So here are some tips for the best grilled veggie sandwiches:
- For this grilled sandwich, use a maximum of 3-4 grilled vegetable choices, depending on what you’re using. For example, if you’re using a thick slice of portobello, keep it to 3 ingredients.
- Spread the bread with something tasty, such as creamy goat cheese or herbed ricotta. You can also use hummus.
- Use the right type of bread: something that is thick enough to hold everything but soft enough to make each bite pleasant, such as ciabatta.
This would be a great sandwich to bring to a picnic or to make for your next summer cookout. And feel free to customize your sandwich by using your favorite vegetables!
I hope you like it! Thank you for reading, and please don’t forget to pin this recipe for later:
And if you’re looking for more summer recipes, be sure to check these out:
- strawberry and spinach salad with herbed chicken
- tropical shrimp salad with orange poppy seed dressing
- mexican street corn salad
- blue cheese and bacon potato salad
- easy white bean salad by Caroline’s Cooking
Grilled Vegetable Sandwich with Herbed Goat Cheese
- 4 large portobello mushrooms (stems and gills removed and caps cleaned)
- 2 red bell peppers (seeded and sliced into wide stripes)
- 2 zucchinis (sliced lengthwise)
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 large loaf of ciabatta bread (enough for 4 sandwiches)
- Pesto, store-bought (optional)
- Herbed goat cheese, store-bought (for sandwich spread)
- Arugula or mixed greens
- In a large bowl, toss the prepared portobello mushrooms, red bell peppers, and zucchini with a few generous drizzles of olive oil, 1 tablespoon dried oregano, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat a grill to medium-high. Grill, for about 10-12 minutes, or until charred and tender on both sides. To get the grill marks, grill each side undisturbed before turing. Transfer to a plate and set aside. Optional: brush with pesto on each side as the veggies grill for extra flavor.
- Cut the large loaf of ciabatta into 4 and cut in half lengthwise.
- Build the sandwiches: Spread some goat cheese on each cut side of the sandwich. Top the bottom half with some arugula or mixed greens, followed by the grilled red bell peppers, grilled zucchini, and grilled portobello. Top the sandwich with the top half of the ciabatta.