These are the best chicken quesadillas I’ve ever had! Chicken quesadillas are super delicious, cheesy, and fun to eat…and that, in my opinion, makes the best meal. I’m sharing a few tricks to make these chicken quesadillas ultra delicious!
I absolutely love chicken quesadillas, and I’ve had anywhere from bland quesadillas to super delicious ones. Because of this, I like to make my own at home, and I’m sharing my favorite chicken quesadilla recipe with you today! I’m also telling you about a few tricks to make these cheesy chicken quesadillas extra good. Hint: it’s all about the chicken and the butter!
So let’s get started and make some delicious cheesy chicken quesadillas!
How to Make Chicken Quesadillas
Making chicken quesadillas can take some time and multiple ingredients, but worry not! It’s actually very easy and the flavors are just unbeatable. I love to grill or pan-fry seasoned chicken breasts, as opposed to just using rotisserie chicken, but if you are in a time crunch, this will work too. Then I sauté veggies, and add lots of cheese.
Here are the general steps for this chicken quesadilla recipe. For specific quantities, see the recipe card below.
- Season chicken breasts (pounded to even 1/2 inch thickness) with chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, cumin, oregano, salt, pepper, and olive oil. Let sit for a few minutes. Why? Seasoning the chicken makes all the difference! Adds lots of flavor.
- Cook chicken on the grill or on a pan, about 8 minutes per side, until internal temperature registers 165 degrees F. Set aside and let rest for about 10 minutes. Cut into relatively thin slices. Why? Letting the chicken rest after cooking redistributes the juices and results in tender chicken.
- Cook the veggies (sliced red and green bell peppers and onions) on high heat until somewhat charred. Tip: to achieve that char, avoid overcrowding the pan.
- Heat some butter on a large skillet. Add a generous layer of cheese (Monterrey Jack, Mexican Cheese Blend), chicken slices, cooked veggies, another layer of cheese, and another flour tortillas.
- Once the bottom has achieved a golden brown color (you can just lift it to take a peak) and the cheese has melted, flip the quesadilla and cook the other side until also golden brown and the cheese has melted.
Tip: use a griddle to make 2+ chicken quesadillas at a time.
I’m telling ya, these chicken and cheese quesadillas are absolutely the delicious and addicting! And this is coming from a quesadilla connoisseur.
Tips to Make the Best Chicken Quesadillas
- Season the chicken well. Unseasoned chicken equals bland quesadillas. The recipe below uses a mix of chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, cumin, oregano, salt, and pepper. But, if you have a favorite seasoning mix, go ahead and use that.
- Pound the chicken to even thickness so it cooks evenly. Pound to 1/2 inch to ensure faster cooking and a tender chicken breast.
- To achieve a golden brown and a slight crunch on the tortilla, butter the pan or griddle very well.
- Make ahead tips: Cook the chicken 1 day in advance.
What to Serve with Chicken Quesadillas
For more Mexican and Tex-Mex recipe, check out these recipes too:
- Chicken Fajita Bowls
- Loaded Baked Chicken Taquitos
- Crispy Baja Fish Tacos
- Steak Tacos with Corn Salsa
- Chorizo and Egg Breakfast Tacos
Thanks for reading and hope you like this recipe! And please don’t forget to pin this:
- Use a large, wide spatula to flip the quesadilla. My biggest spatula is the size of two hands!
- Be generous with the cheese, but don’t pile it up to high. You want to make sure to distribute the cheese in a single layer so it melts evenly.
- Don’t skip the butter! It adds the golden brown color and a slight crunch that make these quesadillas so good!
The Best Chicken Quesadillas
These are hands down the best chicken quesadillas I've ever had. Super flavorful and moist chicken, with lots of cheese and seasoned sautéed veggies in between golden brown flour tortillas.
- 3 large chicken breasts
- Olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 medium white or yellow onion, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese (16 oz pack)
- 8 large flour tortillas
- 2 to 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
Pound chicken to even thickness, about 1/2 inch thick. Season chicken with some olive oil, chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, cumin, oregano, salt, and pepper. Let sit for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile season bell peppers and onion with some olive oil, salt, and pepper to taste.
Heat some olive oil on a large skillet over medium heat. Cook chicken, about 6-8 minutes per side, or internal temperature registers 165 degrees F. Transfer to a plate and set aside for 10 minutes. Cut into thin slices, and then cut each slice in half.
On the same skillet, cook the veggies about 8 minutes, or until cooked through, somewhat tender, and veggies have some charred spots. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
To assemble quesadillas: Heat 1/2 tablespoon of butter on a skillet on medium heat. On the skillet, lay a flour tortilla and then 1/2 cup cheese, followed by some chicken and cooked veggies, arranging evenly. Then top with another 1/2 cup cheese, and layer over another flour tortilla.
When the bottom tortilla is golden and bottom cheese has melted, flip the quesadilla and continue to cook on the second side until golden and cheese is melted. Repeat until you have 4 quesadillas.
Slice into 4 or 6 wedges per quesadilla. Serve immediately.