These easy holiday-themed Chocolate Covered Pretzel Rods are perfect for the season! So festive and cute!
They are super easy to make and also a great activity idea for kids. You only need a few ingredients to make these simple chocolate covered pretzel rods. Let your creativity loose and decorate them any way you want!
These are the perfect homemade chocolate gifts for friends and family.
We’ve been keeping the holiday spirit up over here with lots of festive baked goods! I recently made these Christmas Chocolate Truffles, Gingerbread Cookies, Lemon Crinkle Cookies, and Ginger Snap Cookies.
Today I’m sharing a super easy and fun recipe: Chocolate Covered Pretzel Rods!
To make chocolate covered pretzel rods, you only need a few ingredients: pretzel rods, chocolate bars, and sprinkles or melted chocolate of your choice. It’s really that simple and easy!
They are perfect to get the kids involved in the kitchen as well. They will love making these!
Package them up in cute gift bags and give them out to friends and family this holiday season!
What Type of Chocolate to Use
To make chocolate covered pretzels, I’d recommend using good quality baking chocolate bars, such as Ghirardelli semi-sweet baking chocolate or white chocolate. These tend to melt and set very well.
Do not use chocolate chips, as they don’t melt very well and contain extra ingredients that do not allow the chocolate to set properly.
How to Melt Chocolate
These are my preferred methods to melt chocolate:
- Microwave oven: Place chopped chocolate bars in a heat-proof bowl and microwave in 20 or 30 second bursts, stirring each time, until fully melted and warm.
- Double-boiler: Bring water to a light boil in a pot and place a heat-proof bowl on top of the pot (bowl should not touch water directly). Melt the chocolate in the bowl, making sure the water doesn’t touch the chocolate, otherwise it will seize.
I prefer to melt chocolate in the microwave oven because it’s so much easier. Make sure the chocolate is fully melted (so not too thick) to make it easy to dip the pretzel rods.
If the chocolate isn’t as melty as you work through the pretzels, pop it in the microwave for a few seconds to thin it out.
To make chocolate covered pretzel rods, you only need a few easy-to-find ingredients:
- Pretzel rods: Get sturdy and thick pretzel rods.
- Baking chocolate bars: Baking chocolate bars are pure chocolate and melt very well. Do not use baking chocolate chips or regular snacking bars, as these contain extra ingredients that may affect how well it melts and sets.
- Toppings of your choice: holiday sprinkles, chopped nuts, melted chocolate (for drizzling), etc.
That’s it! Just 3 basic ingredients.
1. Melt chocolate
Microwave chopped chocolate bars in 20-30 second bursts, stirring each time. The key is to get the chocolate very hot and melted to make it easier to dip.
Alternatively, try the double-boiler method: Place a heat-proof bowl on top of a small or medium pot with simmering water. Melt the chocolate in the bowl. Caution: Make sure the water does NOT touch the chocolate, or it will seize.
2. Dip in chocolate and decorate
Transfer melted chocolate to a tall glass. Dip a pretzel rod and immediately top with sprinkles while the chocolate is still warm. This way, the sprinkles will stick. Transfer chocolate covered pretzel to a lined sheet pan. Repeat with remaining pretzel rods.
3. Let them set
Let them set on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. After they have set a bit, pop them in the fridge for about 20-30 minutes so the chocolate has a chance to fully set and harden.
After this, the chocolate covered pretzel rods can be stored at room temperature in a sealed container, as long as it’s a dry and cool place. You can also store them in the fridge. They will last about 7 days.
I’d recommend using baking chocolate bars, such as Ghirardelli semi-sweet, dark, white, or milk chocolate bars. Do not use chocolate chips since they don’t melt very well.
I prefer to melt chocolate in the microwave oven for ease and convenience. You can also use the double-boiler method: Bring water to a light boil in a pot and place a heat-proof bowl on top of the pot (bowl should not touch water directly); melt the chocolate in the bowl, making sure the water doesn’t touch the chocolate.
After the chocolate has fully set and hardened in the fridge, you can take them out and store at room temperature in an airtight container, as long as it’s a dry and cool place (otherwise, the chocolate could smear). Or store in the fridge. They will last about 7 days.
That’s it! You’ll love how easy and cute these chocolate covered pretzel rods are. I love packaging them up in cute gift bags and giving them out to friends and family.
Thanks for reading and happy holidays!
Also, be sure to check out these holiday treats. They are great for gift boxes!
Tips for Success
- Use a tall glass to dip the pretzels. It will be much easier!
- Cover the dipped pretzel rods with sprinkles immediately after you dip them, while the chocolate is still warm. This way, the sprinkles will stick properly.
- Refrigerate the decorated pretzel rods for 20-30 minutes to allow the chocolate to set and harden. This ensures that the sprinkles stay in place and that the chocolate doesn’t smear all over.
Chocolate Covered Pretzel Rods
- Sheet pans
- Parchment paper
- Tall glass
- 12 ounces pretzel rods
- 16 ounces baking chocolate bars of your choice, chopped - see note
- Holiday sprinkles or toppings of your choice
- Melted chocolate of your choice - for drizzling
- Prepare 2 sheet pans lined with parchment paper.
- Place chopped chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave in 20-second bursts, stirring each time, until well-melted. Note: if you’re using various kinds of chocolate, I’d recommend melting the next kind of chocolate after you’re done decorating the first batch so that it stays melted and warm enough for dipping.
- Transfer melted chocolate to a tall glass. Dip each pretzel rod in the melted chocolate, and immediately, while still warm, cover with sprinkles as desired. Lay on the prepared sheet pan. If you want to add chocolate drizzles over, you can do that at the end.
- Continue with the remaining pretzel rods. Let the chocolate set for a few minutes. Then, refrigerate the pretzels (on the trays) for about 20-30 minutes or until the chocolate sets and hardens. Remove from parchment paper and serve. Enjoy!
- Choice of chocolate: I’d recommend using high-quality baking chocolate bars, such as Ghirardelli semi-sweet, dark, white, or milk chocolate bars. Do not use chocolate chips since they don’t melt very well.
- If using multiple kinds of chocolate, melt the next kind of chocolate after you’re done decorating the first batch so that it stays melted and warm enough for dipping.
- Refrigeration: Let the chocolate set for a few minutes on the sheet pan first. Then, transfer the decorated pretzels (on the sheet pans) to the fridge and chill for 20-30 minutes. This will allow the sprinkles to adhere properly, and the chocolate to fully set and harden.
- Make ahead: You can make these 1 week in advance, if stored properly.
- Storage: After the chocolate has set and hardened in the fridge, you can take them out and store at room temperature in an airtight container, as long as it’s a dry and cool place. You can also store in the fridge. They will last for about 1 week.
- Baking chocolate bars: Melting chocolate wafers, such as Ghirardelli’s brand.