These super easy mashed sweet potatoes are made with creamy mascarpone cheese. It comes out delicious, moist, and light. You will love this easy side dish recipe! It’s perfect for the holidays.
Sweet potatoes are so delicious, savory and sweet at the same time. I made these mashed sweet potatoes with mascarpone cheese the other night simply because I had all the ingredients in hand, and wow…it was SO delicious! So here I am, sharing this mashed sweet potatoes recipe with you all. You will love it!
I love making mashed sweet potatoes because it feels a bit lighter than your regular mashed potatoes. No milk or cream needed here, just sweet potatoes, mascarpone, some melted butter, salt and pepper.
This is one of the simplest side dishes ever, and takes very little time to make…especially if you pre-cook the sweet potatoes in advance.
Why I Love Using Mascarpone
If you’ve never tried mascarpone cheese, you need to do it soon! It resembles regular cream cheese in texture, except it’s much lighter and creamier. It kinda tastes a bit buttery too.
I love using mascarpone cheese in this recipe because it adds a nice touch of creaminess to the mashed sweet potatoes without making it heavy at all. In fact, it adds lightness to it. Mascarpone also adds a nice touch of flavor that I absolutely love!
You only need about half a cup, or maybe three quarters of a cup of mascarpone. I kind of just taste and adjust as I go.
Ingredients You’ll Need
You only need a few ingredients to make mashed sweet potatoes with mascarpone.
Here is an overview of the ingredients, and you can find the specific quantities in the recipe card all the way below.
- Sweet potatoes: For 4 people, use about 3 pounds of sweet potatoes. Peel them and cut into 1 inch cubes.
- Mascarpone cheese: At room temperature, so you can easily fold it into the potatoes. Do not microwave it…it melts VERY fast!
- Melted unsalted butter: For flavor!
- Seasonings: salt, pepper, and garlic powder
Let’s Make It
Just 3 basic parts to making this mashed sweet potatoes recipe:
- Cook the sweet potatoes: I’d recommend boiling the cubed potatoes. This process will add moisture and make them really tender. Plus, they will cook pretty fast, about 15-20 minutes. You can do this step a day ahead too.
- Mash the sweet potatoes: Use a simple potato masher or even a big fork.
- Fold in the mascarpone and add the butter and seasonings: Make sure the mascarpone is softened or at room temperature (do NOT microwave the mascarpone). Then, season to taste.
That’s it. So easy! Per usual, the specific instructions can be found in the recipe card below.
You can make it ahead and store it in the fridge overnight. To reheat, spread the mashed potatoes on a flat bowl or a large plate, and microwave for about 2 minutes or until warmed up. This will help distribute the heat more evenly. Then, arrange in a serving bowl and garnish.
Alternatively, you can cook the sweet potatoes in advance, and mash everything before serving.
I absolutely love the creaminess and lightness that the mascarpone adds to the sweet potatoes. It also adds amazing flavor.
Sweet potatoes are pretty moist once cooked, so you don’t need to add milk or cream. Just mash it and add that delicious mascarpone!
Here are some of my favorite side dishes, especially for the holidays:
- Fluffy Mashed Potatoes
- Creamy Mashed Potatoes
- Cauliflower Au Gratin
- Brussels Sprouts Au Gratin
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Butternut Squash
Tips for Success
- Make sure the mascarpone is softened or at room temperature. Do not microwave mascarpone, as it melts really really fast. Once it melts, it will be unusable for the mashed potatoes.
- It’s best to boil the sweet potatoes, rather than baking or roasting. This way, you get some added moisture that will help with texture.
Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Mascarpone
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes
- ¾ cup mascarpone cheese, softened at room temperature - (about 6 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder, plus more to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cut them into 1 inch cubes.
- In a medium or large pot, bring water to a boil, enough to cover the sweet potatoes. Then, add the sweet potatoes and cook for 15 to 20 minutes until tender and easily pierced with a fork. Drain and transfer to a large bowl (no need to rinse).
- Mash the cooked sweet potatoes with a potato masher or a fork. Fold in the mascarpone cheese and the melted butter until evenly combined. Season with the garlic powder, and salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy! Note: don't microwave the mascarpone because it can melt very fast.
- Special equipment: potato masher.
- Mascarpone cheese: Do not microwave it, as it melts really fast. Just let it sit for 10 minutes or so on the countertop to soften it.
- Make ahead: You can make it ahead 1 day in advance and reheat when ready to eat.
- Prep ahead: The sweet potatoes can be boiled and drained the day before and stored in the fridge until ready to mash.
Leave a Reply