These Three Cheese Stuffed Shells are everything. So comforting, filling, and absolutely delicious. Whether its a weeknight or the weekend, this stuffed pasta bake is the perfect choice for a happy family dinner!
Sometimes, after a long day, all I want is PASTA! I especially love stuffed pasta of all kinds…like these stuffed pasta shells! It’s got a blend of three delicious cheeses: ricotta, parmesan, and mozzarella. These cheeses are then mixed with herbs and spices, then filled into beautiful cooked jumbo pasta shells. Then topped with more cheese, and baked until golden and bubbly.
Ohhhh my life is complete.
How to Make Cheese and Spinach Stuffed Shells Recipe
First of all, cook your pasta. I got dried jumbo shells at my local store. Cook according to package directions until al dente. It will continue to cook in the oven, so be sure to not overcook it.
Then make the cheese and spinach mixture. The important part here is to use eggs to bind all the ingredients, and to use cheeses that blend and are good for stuffing. I used a combination of ricotta, mozzarella, and parmesan. Then add chopped herbs and spices. Stuff each pasta shell evenly.
Then top with more cheese! The more the better, so be generous! I’d recommend a blend of mozzarella and parmesan for the topping since those melt really well.
This beauty bakes at 350 degrees F for about 25 minutes until bubbly and golden on top. Aaaand, voila!
I hope you make this for dinner soon! It feeds a crowd, and it also keeps really well in the fridge for a few days.
Also check out my other pasta recipes!
Happy cooking y’all! 🙂
And please don’t forget to pin this recipe!
- Use jumbo pasta shells to be able to fill enough cheese inside.
- For herbs, I used parsley and basil, but feel free to experiment with your favorite herbs. You can try rosemary or thyme.
- Make sure the shells are tucked in together in the pan. This will create some moisture and make everything nice and tender.
Three Cheese Stuffed Pasta Shells
- 1 (12 oz) package of jumbo shell pasta (about 24 shells)
- 16 oz ricotta cheese
- 3 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons basil leaves, chiffonade
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
- 1 cup frozen spinach (excess water removed)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 24 oz jar your favorite marinara sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cook jumbo shells according to package directions. Drain and run under cold water. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine ricotta, 1 1/2 cups mozzarella, 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, eggs, salt, pepper, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, herbs, and spinach. Mix until well-combined.
- Stuff mixture into shells evenly with a spoon or a cookie drop. Close the shells slightly.
- Spread a thin layer of marinara sauce on a 9x13 inch baking pan. Place prepared pasta shells on baking pan, open side up, and each pasta shell close to each other.
- Spread remaining sauce over the shells, and use a spatula to even out sauce. Sprinkle with remaining 2 cups mozzarella and 1/2 cup parmesan cheese. Note: if you want it extra cheese, just add more cheese to your liking!
- Bake for 25 minutes, covered with aluminum foil. Remove foil and bake for 5 more minutes. Then broil for 3-5 minutes on high, until golden brown and bubbling. Let stand for 10 minutes. Enjoy!