This easy Chorizo Queso Dip is made right in the slow cooker. It’s delicious, smooth, and creamy…just how I like my queso! Perfect for game day too!
Queso is pretty much mandatory for game day. It’s the kind of thing that gets everyone in the right spirit. After all, food brings people together. This slow cooker chorizo queso dip is a fun twist of your typical queso recipe. It’s packed with amazing flavors from Mexican chorizo and freshly shredded Monterey Jack cheese.
The best part about it is that it’s made in the slow cooker, so you can just let it cook, stirring only twice or so. No need to keep a close eye on it. Easy peasy!
This recipe makes enough for about 6 people, and that’s assuming that they will come back for more and more. I mean…how can you not?!
So let me show you how to make this amazing chorizo queso dip right in your slow cooker. Read on!
Why this Chorizo Queso Dip Is So Good
“So, so, soooo good!” That’s what everyone that tries this chorizo queso says. Adding flavor-packed chorizo to smooth queso was a no-brainer. Two of my favorite things together!
Here’s why I love it so much:
- It is SO easy to make!
- It’s flavor-packed with cooked Mexican chorizo and green chiles
- It is smooth and creamy thanks to the cream cheese and shredded Monterey Jack cheese
Made Right in the Slow Cooker!
The slow cooker method is great because of three main reasons:
First, you don’t need to keep a close eye on it. Just let it cook, stirring once every 20 or 30 minutes.
Second, it’s actually FAST…for a slow cooker recipe. It takes about 1 to 1.5 hours in the slow cooker. While this is cooking, you can prep other food on your menu. Sounds like a win-win to me!
And third, you can keep it warm. Set your slow cooker to warm and enjoy smooth and warm queso for hours.
Also, what slow cooker size should you use? This recipe works well for a 3 or 4 quart slow cooker.
What You’ll Need
You can make this chorizo queso dip recipe with only a few ingredients:
- Cooked Mexican chorizo: The chorizo will add tons and tons of flavor.
- Diced yellow onions: For additional flavor.
- Cream cheese: This will make it creamy and smooth.
- Monterey Jack cheese: use freshly shredded cheese instead of pre-shredded cheese. The bagged, pre-shedded stuff contains a coating that makes it hard for it to melt properly.
- Evaporated milk: Evaporated milk, which is thicker than whole milk, will help with consistency and make it creamy.
- Canned diced green chiles: I used mild chiles, but feel free to get the spicy version!
- Garnish and seasoning
- Lots of chips for serving!
All you have to do is mix all these ingredients in your slow cooker and cook on LOW for about 1 to 1.5 hours. You’ll need to stir every 20-30 minutes so it’s evenly combined.
Make sure you don’t overcook it to prevent it from getting grainy. Remember, the goal is to warm it up until nicely melted and combined.
More Game Day Recipe Inspiration
We all know that one dish is never enough for game day, so if you’re looking for more ideas, be sure to check out epic game day recipes below!
- Beef and Beer Chili (serve it with my skillet cornbread!)
- Easy Rotisserie Chicken Taquitos (baked!)
- Chili Lime Shrimp Cups
- Easy Greek Meatballs with Tzatziki Sauce
- Potato Skins Loaded with Bacon
- Roasted Garlic Potato Wedges
Happy cooking, friends! And please don’t forget to pin this recipe for later.
Tips for Success
- Don’t overcook the queso. Overcooking will make it grainy. Cook on LOW for 1 to 1.5 hours, or until nicely melted and warm.
- Try not to use cheddar cheese. In my experience, cheddar cheese tends to get very grainy when used in queso.
- Customize the toppings! Try adding guacamole, pico de gallo, or corn salsa.
Slow Cooker Chorizo Queso Dip
- 8 ounces Mexican chorizo ground sausage
- ½ cup diced yellow onions
- 8 ounces cream cheese, cut into cubes
- 8 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, freshly grated - packaged pre-shredded cheese has other ingredients that make it hard to melt
- ½ to 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 (4 oz) can diced green chiles, drained
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped cilantro
- Diced roma tomatoes
- Sliced jalapeño
- Cook chorizo in a skillet over medium high heat until fully cooked, breaking it apart. Set aside.
- In a 3 or 4 quart slow cooker, combine 3/4 of the cooked chorizo (save the remaining 1/4 for garnish), onions, cream cheese, Monterey Jack cheese, 1/2 cup of the evaporated milk, and the diced green chiles. Cook on LOW for 1 to 1.5 hours, or until evenly melted and warm. Stir every 20 or 30 minutes for even cooking.
- After about 1 hour, check on the consistency. If you want the queso to be thinner, add more evaporated milk (heat up the milk in the microwave oven first), and stir until desired consistency. If needed, season with salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve, garnish with the remaining chorizo, chopped cilantro, diced tomatoes, and jalapeños. Serve with chips. Enjoy!
- Special equipment: 3 or 4 quart slow cooker, box grater.
- Choice of cheese: I love Monterey Jack cheese for this recipe. Don't use cheddar cheese, as it tends to separate and get grainy.
- Remember to set the slow cooker on LOW to allow the cheese to melt properly. High heat will break the cheese apart too quick and turn it grainy.