If tacos and breakfast are your favorite things to eat in this world, then these Chorizo and Egg Breakfast Tacos will be your new obsession! Packed with flavor and the comforting taste of soft scrambled eggs.
I LOVE tacos and I LOVE breakfast. Tacos are just super delicious and really fun to eat. And breakfast, especially anything with eggs, is always comforting and so energizing. So, therefore, tacos + breakfast = obsession. Simple math, duh 😉
These chorizo and egg breakfast tacos are so flavorful and addicting. Just imagine ALL the following ingredients in one heavenly bite:
- flour or corn tortilla
- soft scrambled eggs
- mexican chorizo
- diced tomatoes and onions
- monterrey jack cheese
- a squeeze of lime juice
I don’t know about you, but that sounds like the best thing ever to me.
If you buy chorizo sausage, make sure to remove the casing before you cook it. I used ground Mexican chorizo. Get it nice and brown because that’s what will bring out all the flavors. Also, drain any excess fat from the chorizo, or else the tacos will get soggy.
How to Make Soft Scrambled Eggs
The trick to making soft scrambled eggs is to cook them slowly. I know, I know, patience doesn’t always come naturally for me either.
First, whisk your eggs with some whole milk or cream, cheese, and a pinch of salt and pepper. On LOW heat, melt some olive oil or butter. When the skillet is just about getting a little hot, add the egg mixture. As they cook gently and the edges start to set, stir gently and slowly in folding motions (you’ll see soft curds), until eggs are set and cooked. They also will continue to cook afterwards from residual heat.
For toppings, I added a quick pico de gallo (diced tomatoes, diced white onions, cilantro, lime juice, and salt), avocado slices, and shredded Monterrey Jack cheese. But you can certainly customize it to your liking! Here are some ideas:
- tomato salsa
- salsa verde
- corn salsa
- cotija cheese
I hope you enjoy these delicious chorizo and egg breakfast tacos! If you’re serving a crowd, these are really easy to multiply. Serve with some agua fresca or some fresh juice! 🙂
- Heat up the tortillas in open flame if you can. If not, you can use the microwave – simply place damp paper towels in between each tortilla and microwave for 30-40 seconds.
- Make sure to drain any excess fat from the chorizo to avoid making the tacos soggy.
Chorizo Breakfast Tacos
- 12 small flour tortillas
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 10 large eggs
- ¼ cup whole milk
- ¼ cup Monterey Jack cheese
- ½ cup diced yellow or white onion
- 12 ounces raw Mexican chorizo removed from casings
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Diced tomatoes
- Diced white onions
- Finely chopped cilantro
- Avocado slices
- Shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Lime wedges
- Diced jalapeños (optional)
- In a bowl, beat eggs with the milk and cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat a skillet to medium heat. Cook the onions until translucent, 3-4 minutes. Turn heat down to low and wait a few minutes to allow the pan to cool down. Melt the butter and olive oil. Add the eggs and cook slowly, gently pushing the eggs around when they start set at the bottom. Transfer eggs to a plate and keep warm with foil.
- Cook the chorizo in a skillet over medium heat until cooked through and browned.
- Warm tortillas on open flame or microwave. See Kitchen Tips above.
- To assemble, place some eggs and chorizo on each tortilla. Top with diced tomatoes, diced onions, cheese, avocado slices, cilantro, a little squeeze of lime juice, and jalapeños (if using).
- Don't squeeze too much lime juice with your toppings. A little bit is fine to brighten up the flavors of the chorizo.