This strawberry and spinach salad with herbed chicken is loaded with candied pecans, avocado, and feta, drizzled with balsamic dressing.
I love a good salad, especially the ones loaded with fresh veggies, nuts, fresh cheese, and some type of protein. This strawberry and spinach salad with herbed chicken is perfect for dinner!
Fresh strawberries and blueberries add natural sweetness to this salad. The candied pecans add a sweet little crunch, and the avocado and feta cheese balance out the flavors here. Oh, and the balsamic dressing just ties everything together. The chicken is packed with delicious herby and garlicky flavors. YES! It is a heck of a salad!
You’ll love it.
Here is what’s in it:
- baby spinach
- sliced strawberries
- candied pecans
- feta cheese
- herbed chicken
- balsamic dressing
All of that in a bowl is like a dream come true.
- Pound the chicken to even thickness (about 1/2 inch thick) for even cooking. This will result in a juicier chicken breast.
- Let the seasoned chicken sit for about 15 minutes before cooking to allow the flavors to absorb.
Strawberry and Spinach Salad with Herbed Chicken
This salad is loaded with healthy veggies and fruits, and a delicious seared herby chicken.
- 4 cups fresh strawberries
- 2 cups blueberries
- 10 oz baby spinach
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 1 cup feta cheese, plus more if desired
- 3 large chicken breasts
- Olive oil
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons herbs de provence
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- A pinch of salt
- 2 cups pecan halves
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2/3 cup cup olive oil
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
Prepare the chicken: pound each chicken breast to even thickness, about ½ inch thick1. In a large bowl, combine pounded chicken breasts, a few drizzles of olive oil, minced garlic, herbs de provence, salt (about 1/2 teaspoon per breast), and black pepper to taste. Let sit for 15 minutes. Pan-sear chicken over medium heat2 for about 6-8 minutes per side, or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F. Let it rest for 15 minutes, and then slice.
Make the balsamic dressing: combine all balsamic dressing ingredients in a mason jar and cover with lid. Shake well to combine.
Make the candied pecans: Heat a skillet to medium low heat, and melt brown sugar with water. Add the pecans and a pinch of salt. Stir to coat pecan in melted sugar. Transfer to a plate and let cool.
Assemble the salad: combine spinach, strawberries, blueberries, candied pecans, avocado, and feta cheese. Top with sliced chicken and drizzle with balsamic dressing.
- Pounding the chicken to even thickness (1/2 inch thick is my go-to) will help with even cooking and juicier results.
- Searing chicken over medium heat allows the chicken to cook all the way through without quickly burning on the outside.