This Roasted Delicata Squash recipe is very simple, yet super delicious!
Roasting brings out the natural sweetness of delicata squash, and when caramelized, it becomes even more flavorful. So good!
This recipe takes only 30 minutes to make, and it’s all done in one pan. Super easy and simple!
If there’s an underrated winter squash, I think it would be delicata squash.
The first time I tried roasted delicata squash was two years ago. I was very surprised at how delicious it was! It’s mildly sweet, a bit nutty, tender (although not as soft as roasted acorn squash), and the skin is perfectly soft and edible!
I think roasting is the best way to cook any squash, as it is for Maple Roasted Acorn Squash and Wild Rice Stuffed Acorn Squash. Roasting brings out its natural sweetness, and when caramelized, it is incredibly delicious.
You can even use roasted delicata squash to make a soup, similar to this Roasted Butternut Squash Soup. Or use it on my favorite Fall Harvest Salad and Kale Apple Salad to maximize all the fall vibes.
Why we like this simple roasted delicata squash recipe:
- The texture is amazing! Roasted delicata squash is tender and the skin is soft and edible. When caramelized, it has a nutty and sweet flavor.
- It’s delicious: It’s mildly sweet…sort of like a cross between a squash and sweet potato. Doesn’t that sound good?!
- Easy to prep: The skin is not tough, so it’s very easy to cut. It’s easy to prep, ready in just 30 minutes.
- Versatile: Use it to make salads, soups, or serve as a simple side dish.
All About Delicata Squash
Delicata squash is a winter squash. The edible skin is pretty thin compared to other types of squash, and it’s yellow with green lines.
They are on the smaller size, about one-third the size of a butternut squash. They are pretty small, so to serve 4 people, you’ll need about 2 of these.
They are also called “sweet potato squash” because it’s slightly sweeter than other types of squash. It’s very tender and it caramelizes really nicely in the oven.
I like to roast with a few drizzles of olive oil and simple spices. Keeping it simple allows you to enjoy the true flavors, but you can always level it up with extra seasoning or even a maple glaze.
How to Pick Good Delicata Squash
Pick a squash that feels firm and heavy for its size.
Look for yellow squash with green lines – this indicates that it’s ripe. If it looks too pale or mostly green, it’s not ripe yet. Avoid those with too much damaged skin or soft spots.
This is a very simple roasted delicata squash recipe, so you only need a handful of ingredients.
- Delicata squash: They are pretty small, so you’ll need about 2 to serve 4 people.
- Olive oil: For roasting
- Smoked paprika, Kosher salt and pepper: For flavor. Feel free to use your favorite spices.
- Pumpkin seeds and thyme: For serving, totally optional but highly recommended!
It takes less than 30 minutes to make this recipe. Here’s a quick tutorial.
Step 1 | Cut squash
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Wash the squash thoroughly. Using a sharp knife, cut the squash into about ¾ inch rounds, and then scoop out the seeds using a spoon. Alternatively, you can cut the squash in half, scoop out the seeds, and then cut into rounds. Whatever is easiest!
Step 2 | Season
Arranged on a large sheet pan without overcrowding. If needed, use two sheet pans.
Drizzle with olive oil and toss to combine with salt, pepper, and paprika. You can also add other spices here, such as garlic powder, cayenne pepper, Italian seasoning, or your favorite specialty seasoning blends.
Step 3 | Roast and serve
Roast at 425 degrees F for 20 to 25 minutes, flipping after about 15 minutes. It’s done when they are tender and golden brown. I like to serve with toasted pumpkin seeds and thyme as garnish.
There are so many ways to tweak this roasted delicata squash recipe to pack extra cozy flavors. Here are a few variations I have tried before that are pretty amazing:
- Top with cheese! During the last 5 minutes of roasting, sprinkle some grated parmesan cheese on top.
- Serve on a simple bed of Shaved Brussels Sprouts and Kale or your favorite greens.
- Use your favorite spices for extra flavor.
- Drizzle with maple syrup and melted butter during the last 5 minutes of roasting.
- Drizzle with this creamy balsamic dressing.
- Add toasted pine nuts, candied pecans, walnuts, pistachios.
Pairing and Serving Ideas
More roasted vegetable recipes to enjoy in the fall or for the holidays:
Make Ahead and Storage
In general, roasted squash doesn’t store very well overnight. It tends to get soggy. However, you can always pre-slice the squash and keep it in the fridge until you are ready to roast it. Roasting is super easy and fast, so having everything prepped is a time-saver.
Store leftovers in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 2 or 3 days. Reheat in the microwave oven for a few seconds.
Yes, the skin is totally edible, tender, and delicious!
No need. Once it’s cooked, the skin becomes really tender.
It’s slightly sweet, nutty, and tender, sort of like a cross between a squash and sweet potato.
About 20-25 minutes at 425 degrees F. Flip them 15 minutes into the cooking time, or when golden brown.
See if your grocery store carries it. If not, try specialty markets or the farmer’s market.
This recipe was originally published in 2021 and updated in October 2023 to include new photos and information, plus a few recipe modifications.
Tips for Success
- How to pick a good squash: It should feel firm and heavy for its size. Look for yellow squash with green lines – this indicates that it’s ripe. If it looks too pale or mostly green, it’s not ripe yet.
- Delicata skin isn’t very tough, but I always recommend using a sharp knife to cut any sort of squash.
- Other spices you can use: garlic powder, cayenne pepper, or Italian seasoning.
- To elevate this recipe, brush with melted butter and maple syrup during the last 5 minutes of roasting.
Simple Roasted Delicata Squash
- 2 delicata squash
- Olive oil
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt - or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper - or to taste
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- Pumpkin seeds for serving - toasted, optional
- Fresh thyme - for garnish, optional
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Wash the delicata squash thoroughly.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the squash into ¾ inch rounds. Scoop out all the seeds. Discard the seeds.
- Arrange on a large sheet pan without overcrowding (use 2 sheet pans if needed). Toss with a few generous drizzles of olive oil, Kosher salt, ground black pepper, and smoked paprika.
- Roast for 20 to 25 minutes until tender and golden brown, flipping them about 15 minutes into the cooking time.
- Serve with toasted pumpkin seeds and garnish with fresh thyme. Enjoy!
- Delicata squash are pretty small, about 8 inches. One squash usually serves 2 people.
- There’s no need to peel the skin. It becomes very tender and soft after it’s cooked.
- Prep ahead: You can slice the squash and remove the seeds 2 days in advance, and store it in a sealed bag in the refrigerator.
- Store leftovers in a sealed container for up to 2 or 3 days.
- Olive oil: Vegetable oil.
- Additional toppings: parmesan cheese, pine nuts, pecans.