This Roasted Delicata Squash recipe is very simple, yet super delicious!
You only need a few ingredients, most of which you may already have at home. To finish it, I garnish with pumpkin seeds and a few sprigs of thyme. It’s so pretty and delightful!
Making this roasted delicata squash side dish takes only 30 minutes, and it’s all done in one sheet pan. Super easy and simple.
Have you ever tried delicata squash? I recently bought one for the first time ever, and I was very surprised at how delicious it was! It’s a bit sweet, super tender, and the skin is perfectly soft.
This roasted delicata squash side dish is my favorite way of cooking this vegetable. It always roasts and caramelizes beautifully. Plus, it’s super easy to prep and make. 5 to 10 minutes of prep time and 20 to 25 minutes in the oven is all you need.
I’ll be making this roasted delicata squash for Thanksgiving this year, and I’m really excited. Looking forward to everyone enjoying it!
What is a Delicata Squash?
Delicata squash is considered a winter squash, and you can find it at its peak during autumn months. They are pretty small, so to serve 4 people, you’ll need about 2 of them.
They are also called “sweet potato squash” because it’s slightly sweeter than other types of squash. It’s very tender and it caramelizes really nicely in the oven.
The skin is pretty thin compared to other types of squash, so it’s really easy to cut.
Because of their natural, sweet flavor, the best way to roast delicata squash is by using olive oil and just a few simple spices, such as paprika, and of course salt and pepper.
You only need a few ingredients to make this incredibly easy recipe! Below are the list of ingredients plus a few helpful notes. Per usual, you can find the specific quantities in the recipe card down below.
- Delicata squash: They are pretty small, so you’ll need 2 for 4 people.
- Olive oil: For drizzling.
- Salt and pepper: For seasoning.
- Smoked paprika: Adds flavor, aside from just salt and pepper.
- Pumpkin seeds: for serving, totally optional but highly recommended!
- Thyme sprigs: for garnish, totally optional
1. Prep the delicata squash
First, preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Wash the squash thoroughly. Using a sharp knife, cut the squash into about ¾ inch rounds, and then scoop out the seeds using a spoon. Alternatively, you can cut the squash in half, scoop out the seeds, and then cut into rounds. Whatever is easiest!
2. Drizzle with oil and season
Arranged on a large sheet pan without overcrowding it. If too crowded, use two sheet pans.
Drizzle with olive oil and toss to combine with salt, pepper, and paprika.
Roast at 425 degrees F for 20 to 25 minutes, flipping them after about 15 minutes. It’s done when they are tender and golden brown.
I like to serve with pumpkin seeds and thyme as garnish.
Pairing and Serving Ideas
To serve, I like to top it with pumpkin seeds and garnish with fresh sprigs of thyme. You can also add other toppings, such as:
- Pine nuts
- Pomegranate seeds
- Italian parsley
- Cheese: goat cheese, feta cheese, parmesan.
If you’re looking for main dishes that would go great with this roasted delicata squash, check out the Dutch oven roast chicken, Dutch oven pot roast, roast beef tenderloin. Or these:
Other great side dishes to serve along roasted delicata squash (because one side dish is never enough!) are these:
It’s slightly sweet and tender…sort of like a cross between a squash and sweet potato.
Usually at your grocery store or at the farmer’s market.
No need. Once it’s cooked, the skin becomes really tender.
Use a spoon scoop out the seeds.
About 20-25 minutes at 425 degrees F. Flip them 15 minutes into the cooking time, or when golden brown.
Tips for Success
- Before you begin, make sure to wash the squash thoroughly, using a brush if desired.
- Use a sharp knife to cut the squash and for your own safety
- If you want to, you can add more spices, such as garlic powder or chili powder.
Roasted Delicata Squash
- 2 delicata squash
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt, or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper, or to taste
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- Pumpkin seeds for serving - optional
- Thyme sprigs for garnish - optional
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Wash the delicata squash thoroughly.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the squash into ¾ inch rounds. Scoop out all the seeds. Discard the seeds.
- Arrange sliced squash on a large sheet pan, making sure they are not crowded (you can use 2 sheet pans, if they are). Toss with olive oil, Kosher salt, ground black pepper, and smoked paprika.
- Roast for 20-25 minutes until tender and golden brown, flipping them about 15 minutes into the cooking time.
- Serve with pumpkin seeds and garnish with fresh thyme sprigs. Enjoy!
- Delicata squash are pretty small. One squash usually serves 2 people.
- Thoroughly wash or scrub the squash before using.
- Use a sharp knife to slice the squash for ease and just to be safe.
- There’s no need to peel the skin from the squash. It becomes very tender and soft after it’s cooked.
- Prep ahead: You can slice the squash and remove the seeds 1-2 days in advance, and store it in a sealed bag in the refrigerator.
- Storing: store leftovers in a sealed container for up to 3 days.
- Olive oil: you can use vegetable oil.
- Additional toppings: pine nuts, pomegranate seeds, chopped parsley, goat cheese, feta cheese.
Leave a Reply