Oh, how I love a good hearty breakfast! This Country Breakfast Skillet is made with diced potatoes, bell peppers, ham, cheese, onions, and fried eggs. It’s one of my favorite things to have for a nice and comforting breakfast.
Okay, guys, I am seriously obsessed with this breakfast skillet. It’s got everything I like in a good breakfast – crispy potatoes, bell peppers, diced ham, diced onions, cheese – and of course, fried egg! This country breakfast skillet is comforting, filling, and so easy to make!
The best part is that it’s highly customizable, so if you prefer bacon instead of ham, go for it! This breakfast skillet is made with frozen country/southern style potatoes (you can find it in the frozen foods aisle), so you don’t even need to peel and cut potatoes. Easy peasy and ultra delicious!
So, let’s get started!
What’s in this Breakfast Skillet?
Let’s go over what’s in this skillet so you have an idea of how delicious this is. You’ll also find substitutions if you want to change things up a bit.
- country or southern style frozen potatoes (cubed potatoes), sub: hash browns, frozen sweet potatoes
- diced ham steak, sub: bacon, sausage
- diced red and green bell peppers
- diced yellow onions
- cheddar or Colby Jack cheese
- fried eggs, sub: scrambled eggs
- salt, pepper, olive oil
How to Make this Country Breakfast Skillet
This is a really easy breakfast skillet recipe. I’m sure it will become a favorite of yours! As usual, you can find the specific recipe quantities in the recipe card below.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. You’ll need to melt the cheese in the oven.
- Heat 2-3 tablespoons olive oil in a 10 inch cast iron skillet to medium heat. If you don’t have a cast iron skillet, you can use any oven-proof skillet, preferably non-stick. Add the country/southern style potatoes to the skillet and arrange in a single layer. Cover with a lid and cook about 10-12 minutes, turning 3/4 of the way through, until tender inside and crispy on the outside. Transfer to a plate and set aside. Tip: to get a golden brown and crispy exterior, try not to stir it too much.
- Heat another 1-2 tablespoons olive oil on medium high heat. Add diced onions, diced bell peppers, and diced ham steak, and cook until tender and golden brown. Turn occasionally.
- Add the prepared potatoes back in and combine. Top with shredded cheese. Place in the preheated oven for 2-5 minutes, or until nicely melted to your liking.
- Meanwhile, fry a 2-3 eggs in a separate pan. Note: I like to fry the eggs separately instead of nesting them in the same skillet because I can get that super crispy bottom that I love. This is also great if not everyone likes nested eggs. For example, my husband loves this breakfast skillet with scrambled eggs, but I love mine fried.
- Serve immediately with the fried eggs.
That’s all! This breakfast skillet is so good, hearty, and perfect for a nice weekend breakfast. Serve with toast, jam, and a warm cup of coffee.
Ahhh, can breakfast be this good every single day, please??
And if you’re looking for more epic breakfast recipes, check out the following:
- stuffed challah French toast
- denver omelet muffins
- asparagus and prosciutto quiche
- chorizo and egg breakfast tacos
- banana pecan maple muffins
And please don’t forget to pin this recipe. You guys are amazing! Thank you so much for reading. I love seeing your creations, so keep tagging me on Pinterest or Instagram 🙂
Country Breakfast Skillet
- 3 cups country style diced potatoes (diced frozen potatoes, southern style hash browns)
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 3/4 cup diced green bell peppers
- 3/4 cup red bell peppers
- 1 cup diced ham steak
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar or Colby Jack cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 eggs
- Olive oil for pan
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat 2-3 tablespoons olive oil in a 10-inch cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add potatoes in a single layer. Cover with a lid and cook for 10-12 minutes, turning once ¾ of the way through, until cooked and slightly crispy. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add another 1-2 tablespoons olive oil to the skillet on medium high heat. Cook the onions, bell peppers, and diced ham, turning occasionally, until the bell peppers are tender and slightly charred and the ham is cooked through and golden brown. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the prepared potatoes back into the skillet, and combine everything. Top with shredded cheese. Place in the preheated oven for 2-4 minutes, or until cheese is nicely melted.
- Meanwhile, fry 3 eggs on a separate frying pan any way you like. You can also make scrambled eggs instead.
- Remove breakfast skillet from oven, and top with the fried and/or scrambled eggs. Serve immediately.